Valneva is a speciality vaccine company focused on the development and commercialization of prophylactic vaccines for infectious diseases with significant unmet medical need. Valneva has leveraged its expertise and capabilities both to successfully commercialize two vaccines and to rapidly advance a broad range of vaccine candidates into and through the clinic, including candidates against Lyme disease, the chikungunya virus and COVID-19.
Valneva has operations in Austria, Sweden, the United Kingdom, France, Canada and the U.S. with over 600 employees.
An opportunity has arisen at Valneva Scotland for a Procurement Manager within our Supply Chain Management Department.
Liaise and negotiate with suppliers to ensure the most favourable terms for the immediate and strategic long term, ensuring business requirements are delivered. To ensure, through day to day planning and supervision, that all materials, services and equipment is procured in line with quality and regulatory expectations, at the most favourable cost and in compliance with Company procedure. To ensure the procurement and materials department operates to a high level of compliance and housekeeping.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To leverage strategic procurement / contract management and cost drivers
- Actively lead the development and maintenance of an enthusiastic, supportive and collaborative environment across the site and within the function
- Manage external suppliers to ensure effective business relationships are maintained and translate into required level of service and best prices obtained
- Liaise with key internal stakeholders and customers to prepare and finalise contracts for goods, services and materials in accordance with Company policy
- Ensure that all procurement and materials procedures defined by SOP’s and protocols, are being executed in compliance with cGMP standards
- Co-ordinate with key internal stakeholders to prepare and lead negotiations with critical suppliers. Deliver quantitative cost, quality and service improvement as a result of negotiation
- Develop and formalise strategic business partnerships with appropriate suppliers’ bases on risk and commercial opportunity. Represent the Company at high level management reviews with these suppliers and report out to Company management
- Plan and develop new, improved sources of supply for current and future needs with an obligation to permanently gain information on requirements, market, prices and generally important economic issues and coherences. Working cross-functionally, improve the performance of existing suppliers and escalate as appropriate poor performance and possible alternative routes of supply.
- Ensure that all direct reports are appropriately trained and competent in the procedures they are conducting and are in compliance with best cGMP working practices at all times
- Be responsible for the development, collating and reporting of key quality and business metrics and use such metrics to drive a culture of continuous process improvement
- Ensure that any deviations to materials, services, facilities, processes or procedures are being escalated and addressed in an appropriate, timely fashion
- Be accountable that all direct and indirect work areas are clean, tidy and well organised and in a state of continuous inspection readiness. Conduct all activities in the most careful and safe manner and in full compliance with HSE requirements
- Ensure that any change controls, investigations and CAPA’s related to procurement and materials are being escalated and addressed in an appropriate, timely fashion
- Identify areas for continuous improvement and escalate to the appropriate head of function
- Actively contribute to the development and maintenance of an enthusiastic, supportive and collaborative environment within the team setting
- Manage, analyse, review and finalise sourcing decisions, conduct negotiations including planning and development of strategy and tactics to reach objectives
- Negotiate and put into place contracts as appropriate
- Be responsible for meeting the cost avoidance and reduction objectives of Valneva Scotland Ltd
- Manage department budget in line with current remit
- Provide leadership to the department and contribute to an environment of energy, enthusiasm, empowerment and motivation, implementing team and personal objectives
- Communicate performance upwards and downwards and escalate potential issues and any material breach to compliance (to the licence holder and all Valneva personnel) immediately including HSE matters
- To deputise for line manager and peers as appropriate
- To undertake any other duties as requested by the line manager in accordance with company requirements
- Relevant work experience in a regulated industry, preferably in Manufacturing or Pharma/Biopharm
- Lean or 6-Sigma / 5(s) experience in implementing lean processes
- Strong knowledge of, and experience working within, quality management systems and cGMP
- Extensive experience of GMP/GDP/GLP working environments
- Experience in preparation and participation of regulatory inspections for MHRA/FDA
- Strong knowledge and experience in the preparation and execution of high level management supplier negotiations.
- Proven track record of building strategic long term value add supplier relationships implementing the appropriate agreements and contracts
- Strong business knowledge and commercial acumen with the ability to focus and prioritise critical tasks and deliver cost of improvement projects
- Experience managing a complex supply chain to highlight and mitigate areas of risk
- EH&S awareness
- Developing and implementing SOPs and work instructions and other quality related documentation
- Excellent leadership skills and experience with the ability to motivate people in a routine manufacturing environment
- Execution of high level management supplier negotiations
- Contract management (SLA, MDA, MSA, QAG)
- Management skills and experience with proven track records on project and continuous improvement management preferably in a multi-site organisation with matrix reporting
- Excellent facilitation and communication skills